The problem: Although bathtubs can be a nice feature when bathing small children they can be a major source of danger for an older adult. Trying to step over the tub rail (which in some cases can be up to 20” high) into a wet tub/shower area has resulted in many injuries (especially for those with mobility challenges). Such was the case for an older man in his 60’s living in Grove City Ohio (a suburb of Columbus). His daughter contacted The Bath Doctor and Columbus Glass Block for some input and advice on how to not only make the existing shower area safer but also to add style and improve the value of the home as well.
Challenges with the existing bathtub/shower area – Here were the weaknesses of the existing space:
- An old fiberglass tub that was hard to step into for showering.
- No grab bar to make it safer to get into the shower.
- The tub floor surface was slippery when wet.
- Existing shower valve did not offer an anti-scald feature for safe water temperatures. There was only a stationary shower head which made it impossible to shower while sitting down.
- There was no sturdy wall to grab onto in the tub.
- The white fiberglass walls did not offer much style or interest to dress up the bathroom.
The product solution and design approach: John Carter (a sales representative with Bath Doctor & Columbus Glass Block) recommended the following changes to increase the safety and add style to this space:
- Remove the existing one piece fiberglass tub & wall surround and replace it with a 60” x 34” walk in glass block shower system. The 4” thick curved glass block wall system provides a stylish look to the bathroom remodeling project and a sturdy wall to grab onto in case of a fall. The almond colored acrylic base is equipped with a slip resistant bottom surface.
- Install a biscuit colored safety grab bar on the left side of the shower entrance.
- Add a Brazilian walnut fold down shower seat. This maintenance free seat provides the ability to sit down and shower even in a small space.
- Use no maintenance acrylic shower wall surrounds in a Brescia color to add style and interest to the bathroom.
- Install an anti-scald shower valve for safer water temperatures and a diverter with a hand held shower to provide the ability to shower while sitting down.
The new glass block walk in shower is achieving the objectives of providing a safer and more stylish showering space.
Do you have any experience with bath to shower conversion? If so – how did the project turn out? What do you think about the glass block walk in shower option for this type of installation?
If you are looking for assistance or an estimate to convert a bathtub into a shower contact The Bath Doctor (of Cleveland 216-531-6085, Columbus 614-252-7294 or Cincinnati Ohio 513-742-6679). If you like the glass block walk in shower option call or visit Columbus Glass Block (614-252-5888 or toll free 877-668-5888), Mid America Glass Block of Cincinnati and Dayton (513-742-5900), or Cleveland Glass Block (216-531-6363).
Tags: anti scald valve, bathtub to shower, bathtub to shower conversion, fold down seat, glass block walk in shower, grab bar, safety grab bar, shower safety, shower seat, shower valve, tub safety, tub surround, walk in shower
Trackback from your site.