The official start of fall is just around the corner and has many homeowners considering ways to prepare their homes for the cooler temperatures ahead. The good news is that there are many simple ways to make your home more energy-efficient without emptying your wallet, as well as bigger changes (like replacement doors and windows from Innovate Building Solutions) that will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run.
Here are Innovate’s seven ways to save ‘green’ with energy-efficient home improvements:
- Plug up leaks that allow cold air to creep in or heat to escape—these are often found around older doors and windows.
- Take advantage of crisp fall weather by getting outside and enjoying it! This will give your indoor appliances a break, cutting down on your monthly utility bills. Cook on the grill and take in the beautiful fall foliage while it lasts, because much colder temperatures will be here all too soon.
- Consider replacing outdated windows with updated, energy-efficient vinyl options. You can also replace rusted or rotten frames with glass block windows or upgrade from single pane to double pane windows to save on energy costs.
- Get rid of old light bulbs and bring on more energy-efficient ones, such as CFL or LED bulbs, estimated to last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs according to Energy Star.
- Only heat the rooms you use by sealing off the vents in rooms that are typically empty or used for storage purposes. This will direct the flow of air to the areas you use the most.
- Tune up your HVAC ducts by checking for leaks and inefficiencies. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 20 to 30 percent of air is lost due to leaks, holes and poorly connected ducts.
- Knock, knock…is your door allowing cold air in? Replacing an old, hollow door with an energy efficient steel door from Innovate Building Solutions has many advantages. Steel doors are more cost effective than fiberglass or wood doors, can add curb appeal to your home, and come with a two-and-a-half inch polyurethane foam core and a two-piece thermal break construction, driving your energy costs down. Nationally, the estimated return on investment for a steel front door replacement is nearly 97 percent, one of the highest ROIs for any home remodeling project.
For more information about saving money by purchasing replacement doors, windows and energy-efficient products for your home, visit the Innovate Building Solutions website or contact 1-877-668-5888.
If you live in Cleveland or Columbus, we are also available for regional installation assistance.
Cleveland Window and Door Co.: 216-531-4118
Clear Choice Window and Door Co.: 614-545-6886
Trackback from your site.