Benefits of Converting a Tub to a Wheelchair Accessible Roll-In Shower
If you have a loved one with physical limitations or who is wheelchair-bound, you know the importance of having a bathroom that can easily be accessed by any and all members of the family. Whether you’re planning for the future with universal design trends in mind or need modifications made to your home now, Innovate Building Solutions can help you as you prepare for your project.
Often a wasted space that is unusable for those with physical limitations, bathtubs can be transformed into a sleek, modern shower using one of Innovate’s barrier-free systems. Here are a few things you’ll want to consider when converting your tub to an accessible shower:
- Ease of use: Before making the bathroom wheelchair accessible, doorways and hallways in the home should also be evaluated to see if there is a need for them to be widened.
- Space: The shower space should be large enough that a wheelchair can easily and comfortably fit inside. In many cases, we modify showers to fit two people so that users who require some assistance have ample room to move freely. Depending on your overall design vision, you may even want to consider converting the entire bathroom into a wet room.
- Shower Base Options: The Tuff Form barrier-free system is light and easy to work with and can be cut to fit a variety of sizes and shapes. It can be used on a concrete floor or traditional wooden subfloor and then topped with tile or stone for a luxurious look. It is accompanied with a waterproofing kit to make a very sleek wet room.
- Style: Many people that hear the words “wheelchair accessible shower” often assume that these bathrooms will look too harsh or institutional. We are always excited to show our customers that this is not the case, exposing them to photos of our products and projects that incorporate the requirements for function without sacrificing style. In fact, many of our clients opt for a barrier-free look because of its sleek, seamless appeal and options for customization. We can work closely with you to ensure that your new shower is beautiful and easily blends with the rest of your home.
- Accessories: What would make your experience safe and relaxing? Innovate Building Solutions also has a wide selection of safety bars in many decorative styles as well as slip resistant products, shampoo niches and seating.
Ultimately, the goal for a handicapped accessible shower system is to improve your bathroom space so that it can be used today and for many, many years to come.
Have questions? Need help with a remodeling project? Visit the Innovate Building Solutions website to learn more about roll in showers or call us nationwide at 877-668-5888 to learn more about our products, including roll in shower bases. We also offer regional remodeling and installation assistance in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio through our Bath Doctor branches. Call 216-531-6085 or 614-252-7294 respectively to get started!